Friday, February 6, 2009

My Study Of Men

In this journey, we come to know many people. Some would eventually end up as friends forever, some as just acquaintances, some as strangers still, and some as adversaries. Today, inspired by Joel Osteen's sermon, I want to share you about my thoughts on his subject... choosing our battles.

I never came to fully understand why people engage in worthless conflicts and sacrifice good comradeship for the sake of pride or fury. They are the kind who love to dispute, if not with you and/or me, with somebody else. It's like there's something lacking in their lives if they don't engage in a long lasting argument. I came to know of one, yes, just one and I hope that I will not meet another for the rest of this journey. I also had a good taste of the discomfort it brought me. In the final analysis, I can say it's good riddance.
Through what resulted and the teachings shared earlier I learned many things.
  • I learned that it is honorable to refrain from strife, but every fool is quick to quarrel. (Proverbs 20:3)
  • I learned that not every battle is worth fighting for. I should choose to fight battles where there's great spoil or reward.
  • I learned that most frustrations that come my way are simply distractions that would simply waste my time and energy if I bend in. They just try to lure me from my focus in life.
  • I learned that there really are people who are just like that. In fact, statistics show that 25% of the people you meet don't like you and never will, 25% don't like you but will probably be persuaded to like you, 25% like you and will be persuaded not to like you, and the last 25% will like you no matter what.
  • I learned that the secret of failure is trying to please everybody.
  • I learned that what people say and think about me doesn't actually count. What is important is my relationship with Him and Him alone though my dealings with Him may reflect in my interaction with everyone else. Some may appreciate and some may not but it's no big deal.
  • I learned that my focus should be on Him only and not to anybody else so that in the end, I can proudly say that I have centered my life in the One worth living for.

No comments:

Post a Comment