How would you call a person who has stayed in another country for about three years and not even had a close look to at least one of its traditional festivities? Insensitive? Weird? Unmindful?
Well, I was this close and you would probably have assumptions why. Believe it or not, the answer is merely having the rarest chance ever. I couldn't find it in cities I've been to and more so with the big ones so I needed to visit a traditionally rich town. With this, I'd like to thank my Japanese friend for being the bridge, thus, satisfying my thirst in observing with the locals one of the most wonderful festivities.... the 2009 Lantern Festival!
Last Friday, she visited me and mentioned about her going on a trip. I listened attentively in her sharing and without fuss, she declared that I joined in. After reflecting on this over the weekend because I was still recovering from colds and dry cough, I finally made up my mind to go with her.
In the early morning of the festival, we travelled together for about four hours from our workplace. We first went to Yuzhou City, Henan and then transferred to another bus to get to its town called Shenhou.
Shenhou is famous for pottery, ceramics, china wares, porcelain, antique crafts, and the like. It also has the remnants of ancient China like the ones we see on movies. A coal mine, strategically located on the left side of the road just before entering the town proper, is about a hundred feet away from the town's factory which I assume is the pottery. The town is a bit small because we only spent about three hours in going around. One shocking thing though was that no restaurant could be visibly found. Good thing, a bakeshop exists thus saving us from undue fasting.
This town has at least two hotels and we lodged in its finest. We checked in as soon as we arrived and was given the room with the best view. As we were fixing our things, I was briefed by my friend on some expectations for the travel like seeing some local performances with the fireworks display as the highlight that would start at around 7 that evening. The day following will be the famous weekly antique shopping on the sides of its busiest road. So while waiting for the said events, we got busy going around.
Although not fond of shopping, I got curious at what the town has to offer its visitors. I followed my friend and went seeking for their famous products. Then I found myself deeply fascinated by the minimum prices that were presented on us. Comparing it with other places I've been to in the country, this place has the reasonably available price ever. So grabbing the chance with all the weight I could muster, I procured those that my eyes found worth having. After this, we passed through the ancient structures, enjoyed the views, took lots of photos, and joined the locals on the town's thoroughfare where the show had been set. Due to the heavy shopping load and horrendous crowd, I got separated from my friend who laboriously spent time taking pictures on the events. Then I found my way to our hotel that's pretty close to the venue and rested at the lounge. Not long after, my friend came by and we rushed to our room to take a better view at what's happening. It's where we had a good look on two dragon performances. The shows ended at around 6:30p.m. but the people stuck on the street. It's like they're all waiting for Santa Claus to appear and hand them some gifts. Thirty minutes passed by and fireworks started blasting one after another with an interim of about a minute each. Then the real deal amazed us when half an hour later, spectacular display of such exploded right before our very eyes with all the color combinations there was to see. Well, this may seem an exaggeration but if it's amazing to gaze from a distance, how much more would it get into the system when it comes closest to its best.
The show was initially administered by the political autocrats. Then after sometime, another joined in right on top of our heads showering the lights on us. So there was one being shown right before our faces and another one on top of our heads. It's like these two were challenging each other on who's more magnificent and prevalent. Later, I was told that the owner of the hotel we're in is the richest in town which explains why he's the only one capable of challenging the authorities' display. This went on for more than one and a half hours amply satifying our eyes with what I can say as the grandest of all. In between and long after the highlight, locals kept releasing lighted lantern balloons in the air which added to the fabulous panorama that lasted the longest I've witnessed so far.
Granting a status quo next school year, a promise to go back to this town at the same time next year is worth looking forward to.
we're halfway there
14 years ago
wow. that's great. what a great experience! cogratulations for having witnessed that. enjoy and thanks for the comment. splendid post.
ReplyDelete